Wednesday 25 February 2015

Parking

Recently I felt the need to park a couple of books which I had started reading. One was Patrick Fairbairn on Prophecy and the other was Geerhardus Vos's Biblical Theology. I felt I was out of my depth in both and gaining little from trying to get the grasp of their arguments. I don't believe in reading for the sake of reading. The soul may be hungry but the mind needs to be engaged, and these two books weren't just doing it for me. I haven't passed or sold the books on. A bookmarker does it job in the respective page where I decided to quit for a while. I might never go back to them at all, or just rely on the contents/index pages for help in future references. 

I don't often park books, and I can't remember ever doing so with two in a row. With my confidence shaken a little, I headed for safe ground. I have started Bishop Ryle's "Upper Room" which I read in the early 1990's and feel I should read again. Ryle is always simple, enjoyable and beneficial to read. I want to return to this book again in a near blog post. 

On the secular front, I also started John Prebbel's book "The Lion in the North" subtitled, "A personal view of Scotland's History". The early pages are full of the almost mystical fog bound hills and glens of the celt and the gael. Maxwell is a Scottish surname and it always prods something deep within me when I read this kind of book. I picked this one up second hand last week. I have read Prebbles other books  on Culloden and the Highland clearances which I thoroughly enjoyed. His book on the Glencoe Massacre still lies unread on my shelf, but all in good time, if God spares. 

Enjoy your reading. 

CALVINIST INDEX
PROTESTANT INDEX
CH SPURGEON INDEX
EVANGELISM INDEX
HERE AND THERE INDEX
YOUTUBE VIDEO INDEX
3 MINUTE AUDIOBOO INDEX

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to comment here provided that the usual principles of Christian comment e.g. politeness etc. are observed.