Saturday 29 May 2021

Books

 

Every now and again  - OK it has been a while  - I give an update of my recent reading habits. Based on the vain hope that someone is even remotely interested. However, we all like to talk books. Even if no one is listening... 

Scripture reading at the moment:

OT reading: Two to three chapters every day from Ezekiel. Reading in the KJV, but using the notes from the New Geneva Study Bible which is edited by RC Sproul. You get the impression that Sproul wrote the notes, but he probably didn't. Today I read chapters 10-11.

NT reading. One chapter out of Revelation. Today's chapter was chapter 9. Using Geoffrey Wilson's small commentary. This was published by the Evangelical Press. Usually his publisher was the Banner of Truth. 

Serious theological reading: Martyn Lloyd Jones sermons on Romans 9. Nearing the end of the book. A great read. 

Lighter reading, for when I am tired: "If God spare my life" - Bio of Tyndale by Brian Moynahan. I think this is a secular effort, but enjoyable read nevertheless. 

Daily Reading: JC Ryle. Edited notes from his commentaries on the Gospels. Always encouraging.

Great Conversions by Fredrick Leahy. Short articles from his church magazine. Little samplers really. Take about 2 minutes to read. Usually lift it about 5 minutes before a meal and I have been a good boy and set the table.

The Evangelist by WP Nicholson. Started this a while back, but I need to get into it again. Nicholson's name is still greatly revered in Ulster Fundamentalist circles. 

Princeton Sermons by Charles Hodge. Fattened out outlines from his devotional sermons to his students. I have had this book on the go for a while. I dip into sporadically. Feeling guilty that I haven't finished it by now. 

The Telegraph Book of Cryptic Crosswords #6. Sometimes these are very pleasurable. Other times, a self inflicted form of self torture. My wife and I work together as a team on them. This book seems easier than the last one, with an unusual number of 100% solving to our credit. 

So that's it. 

CALVINIST INDEX

PROTESTANT INDEX

CH SPURGEON INDEX

EVANGELISM INDEX

HERE AND THERE INDEX

1 MINUTE AUDIOBOO INDEX

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to comment here provided that the usual principles of Christian comment e.g. politeness etc. are observed.